Truffle Mushroom Macaroni & Cheese
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
6 tbsp butter
1 lb cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced 1/2-inch
1 tbsp kosher salt (plus more for pasta water)
1 lb pasta, such as cavatappi
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 qt whole milk
6 oz Gruyere cheese, grated (2 cups)
6 oz sharp Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
4 oz goat cheese
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp truffle oil (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 cup fresh bread crumbs (2 slices white bread)
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat GE Cafe™ Series 30″ Built-In Single Convention Oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large (12-inch) pan; add mushrooms, and cook over medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes, until they are tender. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until slightly under done. (The pasta will be cooked again in the oven). Drain well.
- While pasta is cooking, heat milk in the microwave on half power until it is hot. Set aside. Melt remaining butter in a large saucepan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Slowly whisk in the hot milk; cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the white sauce is thick and creamy. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, goat cheese, kosher salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Combine the pasta, sauce and mushrooms in a large bowl and pour them into a 10 by 13 by 2-inch baking dish.
- Place the bread in bowl of a food processor and pulse until you have coarse crumbs. In a medium bowl, combine the fresh bread crumbs, garlic, parsley and panko. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the pasta and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the crumbs are golden brown. Serve hot.